So, is Daya Nayak a Nayak or Khalnayak?
Dayanand Kamath, DNAINDIA.COM. Wednesday, January 25, 2006 00:42 IST
ACB will probe ‘patrons’ of Nayak’s school.
The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) will summon all donors who allegedly had given money for the construction of Nayak’s Rs1-crore school at his native village Yennehole in Udupi district of Karnataka.
Confirming this, Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police Vikas Gaikwad of ACB said, “Investigations into Nayak’s case revealed that there was practically no real donor. Most of them were ‘benami’ and the entire money was invested by Nayak for the construction of the school.”
Gaikwad further said the ACB might grill the celebrities who had attended the inaugural function of Nayak’s school. When asked about the inquiry of Amitabh Bachchan, who was the chief guest at the inauguration, Gaikwad said, “We do not rule out the possibility.”
He added that complaints have been received against Komal Nayak’s (wife of Daya Nayak) Ojus Financial Company, which financed Rs10 crore to film producer Jhamu Sugandh. Sugandh, however, has denied receiving any finance from Komal’s company, added Gaikwad. According to reliable sources, all four cheques issued by Komal’s company had bounced.
Gaikwad said that Komal would be arrested by the ACB after the completion of her bail hearing.
‘Probe into funds may have been superficial’
The ‘clean chit’ given to Daya Nayak by former state home minister Chhagan Bhujbal in the Maharashtra Legislature in 2003 was allegedly based on a superficial inquiry report rejected by the then Mumbai police commissioner MN Singh.
Confirming this, Singh said on Tuesday, “Following a media report about the alleged donations received by Daya Nayak for setting up a school in his native village, I ordered a high-level probe headed by then joint commissioner of police Bhujangrao Mohite. The inquiry was entrusted by him to additional commissioner of police Uddhav Kamble.”
Singh added the inquiry had been aimed at finding out if whether Nayak funded the school, who financed the project and whether Nayak misused his post to collect money.
“The report stated that the probe did not establish the allegations made against Nayak. It added that donations had been made by businessmen. Even film industry people donated through cheques and demand drafts on Nayak’s request. I felt the inquiry had been conducted superficially and sent it back for further probe. However, the second report was more or less a repetition of the first. But, it had come from a senior level,” said Singh.
Mohite said, “You may contact the Mumbai police commissioner or the director general of police. I do not have any documents in my possession now.”
Nayak is currently on bail in another instance of extortion being tried at the Bandra magistrate’s court. The case was filed after Tariq Nabi, a trader, moved the state human rights commission against Nayak. Nabi said he was detained by Nayak for being a henchman of Abu Salem and was later released. However, Nabi says he was contacted by Nayak who demanded Rs25 lakh from him. The amount was reduced to Rs6 lakh later.
Five months ago, the SHRC had dismissed an alleged murder case citing lack of evidence. Nayak gunned down four alleged Salem aides outside filmmaker Ashutosh Gowariker’s bungalow in Bandra.
Court date on Wednesday
A sessions court on Tuesday directed Daya Nayak, his wife Komal and alleged aide Rajendra Padte to be present in court on Wednesday for the hearing of their anticipatory bail application.
The prosecution assured Judge SP Mahajan that Nayak would not be arrested till his bail plea came up for hearing at 2.30pm. The trio, fearing arrest in a disproportionate assets case registered by the ACB, moved an anticipatory bail application on Tuesday.
They had moved the Bombay High Court on Monday, which directed them to approach the sessions court. Public prosecutor RV Kini said Nayak feared arrest in the case and was therefore untraceable.
He insisted Nayak, his wife and Padte be present during the hearing of their anticipatory bail plea. Nayak’s lawyers assured the court that all three applicants would appear before the court on Wednesday.