//MCD draws list of netas with illegal buildings

MCD draws list of netas with illegal buildings

Express News Service, New Delhi, January 24:

The MCD today revealed it had prepared its own list of politicians named in the media for violating building bylaws after inspections. However, a spokesman said the civic agency was not revealing who was on it for now.

‘‘We have conducted the necessary inspection and have prepared a list but won’t be revealing the names of the politicians because the matter is sub judice,’’ said MCD spokesperson Deep Mathur.

In the hearing on January 18, the High Court had ordered the MCD to go after the ‘‘big fish’’ and produce an action taken report on January 31. Mathur said that the list would be presented to the court on the date of hearing. ‘‘We had consulted our legal experts after receiving the written order on Monday and have been advised to not reveal the names of politicians named in the report,’’ he said.

In a campaign carried out by the The Indian Express, 19 senior MLAs and Municipal Councillors had been shown having properties with unauthorised constructions. Citing reports from this campaign, the High Court had ordered the MCD and the Principal Secretary, Delhi Government, to prepare an Action Taken Report with regard to properties owned by politicians in the city.

Sources say that the list will not be made public due to political pressure, as some politicians wanted to add 18 more names of politicians in the list. Mathur, however, said that the MCD has a list 30 politicians. ‘‘I don’t know anything about the other 18. We just have a list of 30,’’ he said.

‘‘After the court ruling, we are following a proper process of inspection which involves site inspection and mapping, before issuing showcause notices, which is why it is taking so long.’’

Once the showcause notices are issued, the owners are supposed to reply to the MCD within three days, after which demolition will begin.

While inspection of all properties is over, no date has been set by the MCD to send showcause notices to the owners. ‘‘While no date has been set, we will be sending showcause notices to all owners together,’’ said Mathur.

12 down on Tuesday
THE MCD’s demolition drive slackened today with only 12 properties being targeted. MCD officials said the slump is due to lack of adequate police force.

‘‘Most of the police force has been deployed for Republic Day preparations,’’ said MCD spokesperson Deep Mathur.

Of the 12 properties that faced action today, seven were residential and five commercial. No property was sealed.

While there were no demolitions planned for Narela and South zones, properties were pulled down in Jangpura, West Patel Nagar, Geeta colony, Pitampura and Rajouri Garden. One farmhouse in Chhattarpur was sealed.

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=167013