Press Trust of India
NEW DELHI, Jan. 31. — In a bid to streamline procedure in the wake of the controversy over phone-tapping, the Centre has asked all states to reduce the period for taking permission for interception of calls from 15 to three days.
This is part of its report prepared in response to the Supreme Court directive on 24 January seeking a reply within two weeks on a petition filed by Mr Amar Singh demanding a judicial inquiry into alleged tapping of his telephone. “We are preparing the report and it will be submitted within two weeks as directed by the Supreme Court,” home ministry officials said.
Observing that it was not possible to altogether stop intercepting calls, which was one of the main source of information for intelligence and security agencies. The sources said the government had already taken various steps to stop repetition of the incident of tapping on “forged letter of approval” like in Mr Singh’s case. The ministry has asked the security as well as government agencies to take an approval within three days from the home secretary for interception of any call against the 15 days available now for taking such permission.