BHUJ: In a shocking incident, over 1000 people were affected by food poisoning after consuming cold drink at a majlis on the eve of Moharram at Anjar in Kutch, Tuesday late night. According to information available, the affected people, mostly residing at Hemlai Falia and Kumbhar Falia in Shekh Timba area of Timbi Kotha locality in old Anjar, had consumed ‘sarbat’ at one of the majlis at Timbi Kotha.
Around 1 am , most of the people who consumed ‘sarbat’, started vomiting. They were immediately admitted to private and government hospitals with symptoms of diarrhoea.
According to Dr Abhidha R Anjaria, a medical officer at the government-run Anjar Hospital, patients were being treated round the clock.
Till 4 pm on Wednesday, as many as 250 patients, mostly women and children, were treated at the hospital, she added. While over 29 patients have been admitted at the private hospital of Dr Jitendra Chauhan, many others have been admitted at other private hospitals of Anjar, said Dr Rajesh Jeshwani. A spokesperson of Anjar police said that milk cake was reportedly added to the traditional ‘sarbat’ known as Shabile Hussain, which was distributed among people who had gathered at the majlis. The situation is now under control, he added