//Murder of KSRTC staffer: Lifer for two RSS men

Murder of KSRTC staffer: Lifer for two RSS men

Thursday February 16 2006 12:07 IST
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The two persons who were found guilty of murdering a KSRTC conductor during the violence unleashed by the RSS activists in the city in July 2000 have been sentenced to life imprisonment and fined Rs 15,000 each. Twenty-three others, except the Hindu Aikya Vedi leader J. Sisupalan, were sentenced to up to four years of rigorous imprisonment and imposed fines for various charges, including conspiracy, unlawful assembly, destruction to public property and rioting. Sisupalan’s conviction was relaxed to three years considering his ill health.

Thiruvananthapuram Fast Track Court judge Y. Tajudeen announced the judgment on Wednesday.

They had been pronounced guilty on Tuesday. Eight accused were exonerated. Public prosecutor R Anilkumar appeared for the prosecution.

The court also ordered a compensation of Rs 50,000 to the family of the deceased KSRTC conductor Rajesh and Rs 2 lakh to the KSRTC as compensation for the destruction caused during the violence.

The two persons who were sentenced to life terms are the 17th accused Vinod, 28, and 19th accused Vijayakumar, 32.

The first, second and 25th to 32nd accused who were charged with conspiracy, abetment and destruction of public property were sentenced to four years rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Rs 10,000 each.

Sisupalan, the 33rd accused, who was also charged under the same charges, was given a relaxation considering his ill-health. He has been sentenced to three years and fined Rs 10,000.

The first to seventh, ninth to 12th, 14th, 16th and 19th accused were sentenced to four years rigorous imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs 16,000 each under various charges, including damage to public property, unlawful assembly and rioting.

Those convicted are first accused Girishan Nair, second accused Padmakumar, third accused Chandramauli, fourth accused Ananthamohan, fifth accused Praveen Kumar, sixth accused Shinukumar, seventh accused Murali, ninth accused Raju, tenth accused Krishnakumar, 11th accused Unnikrishnan, 12th accused Ayyapan Nair, 13th accused Vijesh, 16th accused Santoshkumar, 17th accused Vinod, 18th accused Sudarshan, 19th accused Vijayakumar, 25th accused Umakantan, 26th accused Jayakumar, 27th accused Rajasekharan, 28th accused Rajkumar, 29th accused Ravi Kumar, 30th accused Arun Kumar, 31st accused Sudhakaran, 32nd accused Manikandan and 33rd accused Sisupalan. They belong to various Sangh Parivar outfits.

The incident related to the case occurred on July 13, 2000. A protest march taken out by the Sangh Parivar organisations turned violent and the agitators caused massive destruction to public property.

A group of agitators barged into the KSRTC depot at East Fort and attacked the workers there. Conductor Rajesh, who was beaten up using tools, succumbed to his injuries the next day.