Sunil P Salam, duty doctor at the time when the boy was admitted, was placed under suspension and an internal inquiry had been ordered, MCH sources said. Local people had held a demonstration before the MCH mortuary this morning demanding action against the doctor for medical negligence." The boy, Shyam, belonging to Pachalloor near here, had been under treatment at the MCH for the last one month for serious allergic reaction to one of the medicines he had been administered. Shyam was admitted to the hospital on Jan 15 with high fever. He developed severe reactions to the drug Carbamazipine that he had been taking for seizure disorders. His skin got charred and began to peel off following which he was shifted to the Dermatology department.
Shyam,who was taken back to General Medicine department three days back, developed respiratory infection two days ago and was not responding to antibiotics. He was put on ventilator yesterday afternoon and breathed his last by evening due to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), MCH sources said. The Director of Medical Education, who enquired into the charge that the boy was given "wrong medicines," had in his report said the boy’s condition worsened due to adverse drug reaction. The boy was being treated free of cost on a directive from Health Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan. Shyam’s body was handed over to relatives after post-mortem and was later cremated, the sources said.