Press Trust Of India, Updated 1725 hrs IST (+GMT 5:30), 19.02.06
New Delhi: The Defence Ministry has asked CBI to probe "war room leaks" of the Naval head-quarters, which had led to sacking of three senior naval officials.
Confirming this, an official spokesman said that the case has been referred to CBI and the terms of references were being worked out.
The terms of reference is likely to be released on Monday, the spokesperson said.
The government action follows media reports that war room leaks pertain to the recent mega deal worth Rs 13,000 crore for purchase of six French ‘Scorpene’ submarines.
The media reports had alleged that commission had been paid in the deal.
The Navy had constituted a board of enquiry after intelligence officers had recovered a pen drive from a senior Air Force officer Wing Commander SL Surve in December, which contained classified Naval information.
The Air Force officer was on deputation with the Directorate of Naval operation. After two months enquiry, the Board found three senior officers — Captain Kashyap Kumar (former director of Naval Operations), Commander V Rana and VK Jha — guilty folowing which they were dismissed from service.
One of the officers Kumar has appealed to the High Court against his dismissal.
The CBI probe is also expected to cover the civilian recipients of the leaked information and the case gained prominence after it became known that one of the recipients was a nephew of the current Navy Chief.