//Twin blasts: four persons being questioned

Twin blasts: four persons being questioned

KOZHIKODE: The police have offered rewards for information that helps avert bomb explosions and other subversive activities. Inspector-General of Police M.N. Krishnamoorthy, on Monday, made the offer of "rewards and recognition" for useful information about activities of subversive elements similar to those who triggered twin blasts here on Friday.He told presspersons that those behind the explosions at Kerala State Road Transport Corporation and mofussil bus stands would be arrested soon. At least four persons had been taken into custody for interrogation. Asked if arrests would be made on Monday, he said, "Not today, but soon."

He disclosed that potassium chlorate, used in fireworks in temples, had been used in the explosives that triggered the blasts here.

They were made using steel containers, which were also locally available. What was unusual about them was that a timer device was used to trigger the blasts.Stocks of all licensed explosives dealers were being verified to find out if these materials came from them.He said the background of those in custody was being verified. It was too early to say if they had links with known, or suspected, militant organisations. Some of them were from Malappuram and Wayanad. None of them resembled the suspect whose sketch was recently put out by the police, he said in answer to a question.He said police teams were still pursuing the leads they got in the bid to nab the men who triggered the blasts.A combing operation for bombs would be conducted in north Kerala districts from March 7 to 13.

Directive to PCOs Replying to questions, he said that as a precautionary measure, public call offices (PCOs) had been directed to keep a record of the addresses of persons who made telephone calls. Internet cafes would also have to maintain such a record. Hospitals, cinemas and major Government offices were also being told to fit caller-ID equipment since those making anonymous calls to convey bomb threats over telephone could be tracked down with its help.Bomb squads formed in all districts were now being provided vehicles from the Armed Reserve Camp to join the bomb-hunt, he added.

NDF protest

Nasiruddin Elamaram, spokesman of the National Development Front (NDF), took objection to news reports saying that its head office was “raided” by the police.

He said the police had visited the office, saying they had information that some persons involved in the twin blasts were in that building. Mr. Elamaram said all that the police got were notices that contained directions to participants in a march it organised on the job reservation issue. These were returned, he added.

The front organised a protest rally in the evening.

http://www.hindu.com/2006/03/07/stories/2006030713500400.htm