//NCM submits report on Aligarh riots to PM

NCM submits report on Aligarh riots to PM

New Delhi, Apr 14: The National Commission for Minorities (NCM) has recommended a judicial probe into the April 6 Aligarh violence after an enquiry by one of its members "found" that the local administration did not take preventive steps despite clear signs of religious tension a day before the Ramanavami rioting.

The one-man NCM probe into the violence had also found that all the injured 20 people, all Muslims, had suffered above-waist gunshot wounds from police firing, reliable sources in the commission told mediapersons.

The report, sent to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh along with a recommendation for a judicial probe by a sitting high court judge into the rioting, also named a local Sangh Parivar leader, who, it alleged, had provoked an angry reaction by leading a slogan-shouting procession to a disputed water tank, the sources said.

The state administration took no preventive steps when signs of tension erupted a day before Ramnavami in Aligarh and remained passive during the tense procession on the festival day, sources said quoting the report. Police ordered firing when tension exploded into full-fledged violence, according to the 20-page NCM report.

The NCM, which held a meeting today to discuss the findings of its member Harcharan Singh josh into the Aligarh events, believes that a judicial inquiry could well be able to "restore the confidence of minorities in UP in the administrative system," the sources said. Of the seven people dead, five were killed in police firing, the report said. Aligarh peaceful curfew relaxed in phases The indefinite curfew in five police station areas of riot-hit Aligarh town of Uttar Pradesh was relaxed in a phased manner today.

Additional Director General of Police (law and order) Padman Singh said here, curfew was relaxed in phases since 0900 hrs in the Banna Devi, Sasni Gate, Delhi Gate, Gandhi Park and Kotwali areas. No untoward incident was reported during the curfew relaxation. The curfew was clamped following communal riots in Aligarh on April 6.