Wednesday May 3 2006 13:57 IST
TIRUNELVELI: The State General Secretary of the Indian National League (INL) Abdul Quadir has expressed hope that the innocent Muslims who have been in jail for eight years in connection with the Coimbatore bomb blasts would be released soon.
Addressing a press meet here on Tuesday, he said that after the bomb blast, innocent Muslims were shot dead by the police.
And those policemen involved in the shooting were given promotion and awards during the DMK regime, he said. Following the bomb blast many innocent Muslim men were arrested and have been locked up in prisons for more than eight years, the INL leader pointed out.
Though 167 innocent men have been imprisoned, investigation has not been carried out so far, he said and added that the DMK government did not take any step to release them.
Revealing that they have urged Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to take steps to release them, he said that in the prevailing situation they would be released. He said he believed that they would be released soon. He also pointed out that the DMK failed to fulfill the long time demand of the INL for reservation for the Muslims and added that the Chief Minister had ordered the Backward Class Commission to analyse the possibilities for reservation for Muslims.
Stressing that at the time of natural disasters like flood and tsunami the Chief Minister handled the situation very effectively; the National League leader said that people of other nations also appreciated Jayalalithaa for her effective management.
But the Opposition parties were blaming her by saying that the relief measures were not distributed properly, he said. He said there was a bright chance for the AIADMK and its allies to emerge victorious in the forthcoming elections.
The AIADMK and its allies were working together for the victory of the INL candidate for Palayamkottai, Nizamuddin, he said.
Nizamuddin was also present in the press meet.