Zubaan is planning to produce an anthology of short fiction showcasing new, young women writers from South Asia. For this, they have invited young connoisseurs of creative writing to share their stories.
Zubaan envisages that the anthology will include a variety of genres of fictional writing – from humourous pieces to science fiction, fantasy, detective stories, and other forms which may fall under the general rubric of 'speculative fiction'.
The criteria for inclusion in the anthology are:
- Writer needs to be in the 20s and 30s.
- The writers should be women of South Asian origin, although they could be based anywhere in the world. Zubaan is interested in non-resident Indian writers as well as those based in India.
- All stories must be in English.
- Stories can be of any length, the ideal range being between 2,000 words to 5,000 words.
- Stories should be complete stand-alone narratives.
- Preference will be given to unpublished stories.
Selection will be on merit, based on the evaluation by Zubaan's in-house editorial team. The final selection for inclusion would rest with the Editor.
Along with the story, writers should email a short biography about themselves, including details of their published writings (if any).
Responsibility for the editing, design, production and sales of the book rests with the publishers.
Copyright for individual pieces would rest with the respective authors, but rights in the anthology as a whole would rest with the publishers, who will actively pursue the sale of translation and co-publication rights for the book.
All writers selected will receive a modest fee for their work.
All submissions should be received by July 31st 2006.
Zubaan is a small independent feminist publisher, based in New Delhi. Headed by Urvashi Butalia, who co-founded India's first feminist press, Kali for Women, Zubaan is committed to publishing books by, for, on or about women – and women's issues – in South Asia for an international market. For further details, and a list of books published thus far, please visit the Zubaan website.www.zubaanbooks.com