5 fellowships for a period of one year on Cultural Practices, Apply before 20 th September 2006
Majlis, a public trust, is a center for multi-cultural initiatives based in Mumbai. The centre intends to develop a support system for multi-disciplinary cultural exchange and for individuals seeking to work outside the parameter of institutional/market frameworks.
Under this programme, Majlis announces five fellowships for a period of maximum one year. This term marks the fifth cycle for this programme. We invite proposals from individuals in the field of cultural practices. Experienced practitioners of one discipline may apply for a collaborative project or for a project in another discipline. Proposals from applicants without past experience in a particular discipline will also be considered. There will be special
emphasis on projects which require collaborative initiatives.
The programme will offer five fellowships of not exceeding Rs. 15,000/- each per month for a maximum of 12 months and a contingency grant (amount to be decided by the committee after selection procedure is completed) for the basic / administrative expenses. However, the
contingency grant will not be available for acquiring any capital equipment.
In case of production oriented projects which are expensive, like film making or multi-media production, the programme will not be able to cover the production or infrastructural expenses.
The proposals will be evaluated by a committee of resource people comprised of senior practicing artists and art scholars. The decision of the committee will be final. The short listed candidates may need to appear for an interview with the selection committee. The travel
expenses for the same will be borne by Majlis.
A mid-term report will have to be submitted to Majlis within one month from the middle of the project period. The second half of the fellowship will be resumed only after evaluating the mid-term report. The fellows will be required to submit a detail final report within two months of completion of the fellowship period. The last installment of the fellowship will be released only after receiving and evaluating the final report.
On completion of the fellowship, Majlis will organise a public programme and the fellows will be required to personally present their works to fellow artists and culture scholars. The travel and
accommodation expenses for the same will be borne by Majlis.
Each fellow will be associated with one member of the resource committee. The resource person will be in regular contact with the fellow during the fellowship period and in case of site specific works will visit the location of the work. The final public presentation
programme will comprise of presentation by the fellows and the associated resource persons' responses to that.
The Proposal Format
1) The proposal should preferably be in English. Proposals in other Indian languages will also be considered.
2) The first page of the proposal should carry a summary of the project in English not exceeding 500 words and the applicant's name, address, contact telephone and fax no and e-mail address. The name of the applicant should not be mentioned anywhere else in the proposal.
3) The proposal should be posted to Majlis. Proposals sent by fax or e-mail will not be considered.
4) As far as possible the proposal should not exceed 4000 words.
5) The proposal should contain:
A) The overall rationale of the project. The needs, issues or opportunities that the project plans to address.
B) Details of the area/field of work the applicant plans to cover under this fellowship.
C) Work plan, methodology and the tentative schedule envisaged.
D) The names of any other group, agency or individuals who are likely to get involved in the project.
E) A brief note on the applicant's qualifications, experience, interest, and present occupation including a description of other professional commitments during the period of the fellowship. Details of the work done earlier and funds received, if any, in the same
F) Work samples such as published works, paper cuttings, photographs, video and audio tapes etc., if any. Majlis will not hold responsibility of returning the work samples to the applicants.
* Any Indian citizen residing in India may apply.
*The period of the fellowship will not exceed 12 months.
An appropriate phase of a long term project can be considered for funding.
* Applicants should declare that the proposal submitted to Majlis is not funded by any other organisation.
* Expenses under contingency grant will be reimbursed every
three months after submission of accounts, with original bills and vouchers.
* The monthly fellowship will be paid by a/c payee cheques. The income tax formalities should be carried out by the recipient.
Majlis does not bear any legal or financial responsibility in this regard.
* The contribution of Majlis should be acknowledged in the outcome of the project (production brochure/catalogue, film credit, publication acknowledgement etc.). However, Majlis will hold no copyright on the outcome of any project.
* No private communication regarding the selection will be entertained.
The application for fellowship should reach Majlis office by 20 th September 2006
Communication regarding the fellowship will be sent to selected fellows by 20th October 2006
The fellowship will start from 1st December 2006
All communication should be made to:
A-2, Bldg 4, Golden Valley
Please display/distribute this information in any form through your organisation, office, centre, publication, newsletter etc.
This fellowship programme is made possible with a grant from HIVOS.