//Muslim Priest succumbs to Bajrang Violence, Curfew in Mangalore

Muslim Priest succumbs to Bajrang Violence, Curfew in Mangalore

S.O. News service, Mangalore, 7 Oct 2006

One person died after succumbing to injuries in the Unity Hospital at 3:00 am, identified as Abdul Ghafoor Musliyar (30). He was from Suliya. According to the sources, he was on his way to Masjid for Ramzan prayer when a group having sword attacked him mercilessly. He was then admitted to Unity Hospital at 9.00 pm on Friday. He died at 3 am. This is the first death confirmed in Mangalore violence so far.

With violence escalating in Dakshina Kannada, the Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate issued shoot-at-sight orders and imposed curfew in the entire city of Mangalore on Friday

The violence erupted at Ullal at around 12 noon and spread to Thokottu, Chembugudde and Kuttar. At Ullal, a motor bike was burnt by some miscreants and several were injured in violent clashes. A shop was burnt at Kuttar and stones were pelted on a worship place. Miscreants also burnt autorikshaws at Padil.

The miscreants set fire to a number of shops and vehicles at many places. According to Mr. H N Sathyanarayana Rao, IGP (Western Range), the police fired several rounds of teargas shells and resorted to repeated lathi-charge to quell the violence in Mastikatte, Melangadi, Thokkutu, Kumpala, Kuttarpadav, Deralakatte, Veeranagar, Faisal nagar and Farangipet.

The Police took over 130 mischief-mongers into custody and booked 34 cases of rioting. The violence began during the bandh called by Bajrang Dal on Thursday and fresh incidents of violence occurred during the bandh called by Sri Rama Sene on Friday.

Petty shops and private establishments which tried to defy the bandh call were forced to pull down shutters by youths on motorcycles armed with stones. A shop in Bunder, two autorickshaws near Kankanady railway station and a motorcycle in Bajal were torched by miscreants.

Mobs went on a rampage in Ullal and Thokkatu assaulting innocent pedestrians, hurling bottles and stones at places of worship. Miscreants did not even spare schools and vandalised the Bharat High school in Ullal.

Violence spread and soon an angry mob went berserk setting fire to shops in Kuttar, Mastikatte, Pandit House, Deralakatta and Kumpala bypass. A house of worship at Kuttar was also attacked and a car was destroyed at Kallapu.

Around 3 pm on Friday, acting on a tip-off that a group of people were in possession of lethal weapons at Kuttarapadav, the SP and the police force rushed to the spot. However the group not only prevented the police force from entering the place of worship, but also pelted stones at them.

Between 3 pm and late night, sporadic violence was reported in many parts of Konaje, Ullal and Mangalore rural police station limits. Police had to open two rounds of fire in the air at night to disperse the mob at Faisal nagar.

Looking to the arson, looting and group clashes on second consecutive day, forcing the Dakshina Kannada district administration to impose a curfew. The curfew will be in force for 48 hours starting 5 pm from October 6 and nobody should come out of their homes, Deputy commissioner M Maheshwar Rao said.

Four companies each of the RAF and CRPF and 24 platoons of KSRPF have been deployed in Dakshina Kannada district. In Mangalore 25 platoons of KSRP would also be deployed, Mr. Prakash said.

Till late Friday night, reports about stray incidents of violence continue to trickle in from Adyar, Veera nagar, kannur, Farangi pet and Suratkal. An armed mob barged into a house in Faisal nagar and assaulted some persons. The injured were later admitted to Wenlock Hospital. A shop was torched in Pump Well area in the city. However, Kudroli, the epicentre of Thursday’s violence, was incident free.