//Mukarram’s family awaits justice

Mukarram’s family awaits justice

BANGALORE: It’s been five months since Mohammad Mukarram Pasha fell prey to the Army bullet and justice awaits his bereaved family members. The agonising wait of the family members of 19-year-old Mukkaram is evident as they are diffident if they would get justice for the tragic loss. Mukarram was shot down by the sentries at the Flag staff house after he intruded into the residence of Brigadier P S Ravindranath, Commander, Karnataka and Kerala Sub Area on December 28, 2008. Two teams set up to probe Mukarram’s death are yet to ascertain if the sentries action to open fire on the drag racer is justified.  The Army which had ordered an inquiry after the incident is yet to make the report public.
Sources told The New Indian Express that report of the probe conducted as per the standard procedures of the Army and headed by a full Colonel from the city-based Madras Engineering Group and Centre has been submitted to the Army Headquarters and that it has no plans to make it public.

The Army probe essentially looked into only three aspects: how the security breach occurred, what the other army guards on duty were doing at the time of the incident and the third to suggest and recommend measures if needed to enhance the security arrangements.

Similarly, another probe set up by the State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) after Mukarram’s family members filed a petition before it, is also pending.

According to sources, the committee which is probing the incident has finalised the report and is pending before the Commission chairperson Justice S R Nayak.

Sources said even if the Army sentry is found to be in fault the SHRC cannot do much as it does not have any jurisdiction over the Army.

“Based on the inquiry, one can clearly say that the sentry was at fault as he shot the intruder at the back with the bullet rupturing his liver and heart when Mukarram was trying to scale the wall and get out of the Army premises. Besides, they did not warn him by firing in the air,” said sources.

Mukarram’s mother Afsarunnissa said that the family was grief stricken and that five months had passed since her son was killed and still there was no conclusion to what happened on that fateful night. “We are pinning our hopes on the SHRC to get justice, but nothing has happened,” she said.

Express News Service, 14 May 2009