//Techie beaten to death in Pune over 'derogatory Facebook post', 13 people arrested

Techie beaten to death in Pune over 'derogatory Facebook post', 13 people arrested

5 June 2014

PUNE/NEW DELHI: A 28-year-old software professional was bludgeoned to death allegedly by people with suspected links to a Hindu outfit near Pune, police said on Wednesday. A total of 13 people have been arrested by police in connection with the murder of Shaikh Mohasin Sadiq in Bankar Colony in Hadapsa area on Monday night with six more people being arrested on Wednesday. The trigger for the attack was apparently uploading of derogatory pictures of warrior king Shivaji and late Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray on Facebook, which led to a protest bandh on Sunday.

The murder of Sadiq, who hailed from Solapur, sparked tension in the area, police said. The victim worked in the IT department of a textile firm in the city. The accused have been booked under sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder) and 147 (rioting) of Indian Penal Code. They are said to be linked to Hindu Rashtra Sena, a right wing organization. The victim was thrashed with sticks at Bankar Colony by the

The accused and he succumbed to his injuries during treatment at a nearby hospital, police said.

Pune police chief Satish Mathur told PTI that “situation in Hadapsar was totally peaceful” and people were going about their normal lives. Mathur said that the six people picked up on Wednesday belonged to the same outfit of the seven members who were earlier arrested.

The seven persons arrested earlier were remanded in police custody till June 9 by a local court. Police said the case was handed over to crime branch and they have appealed to citizens not to believe or spread rumours as the situation is peaceful. Security has been increased in the area. When asked if the fatal attack had any connection with the protest over Facebook pictures, DCP Manoj Patil said, “There is no direct connection.” He, however, did not rule out indirect fallout of the Facebook posts. Patil also said the situation was now “peaceful and under control”.