The NCHRO organised its Exco meeting in SCMI House, Bengaluru on 10-Dec-2017.
The NCHRO organised its Exco meeting in Student Christian Movement of India (SCMI) House, Bengaluru on 10-Dec-2017, bringing together participants from different NCHRO chapters and Special Invitees, who motivated by human rights to create fair and just societies. Prof.Marx, Chairperson welcomed attendees. The Exco reviewed State Chapters activities, highlighted key points from the Performance Report.
This report distils the meeting’s discussions and concludes with action points that emerged from the meeting.
1) The Need for a Strong Victim and Witness Assistance and Protection Mechanism:- The victims and witnesses who provide testimony against crime perpetrators, who in most cases are powerful and influential in society, need to be assured of safety and security and should not suffer repercussions for their participation in judicial accountability proceedings. In this regard NCHRO Exco, strongly urges the Government for a Strong Victim and Witness Assistance and Protection Mechanism.
2) The proposed jury for the Mukundan C Menon Award 2018 consists below human rights experts :- Prof. A Marx (Chennai), Dr. J Devika (Thiruvananthapuram), Adv. KP Muhammed Shareef (Manjeri), Prof. P. Koya (Calicut), Mr. Reny Ayline (Thiruvananthapuram), Civic Chandran (Calicut), E. Abubacker (Kozhikode), Adv.Bhavani Mohan (Chennai) and Ms. Madhuri Krishnaswami (Bhopal).
3) NCHRO Internship:- Through a combination of active mentorship, discussion, reflection and relevant hands-on practical experience, the proposed program must deliver an immersive Human Rights internship in India. Interns should able to develop practical skills while acquiring a deep understanding of the human impact of right’s violations and challenges in our country.
4) Human Rights Posters:- The main objective of Human Rights Posters is to create awareness and teach about human rights. The posters itself should speak about the basic human rights of people that are recognized by the United Nations as rights that are universal and should be afforded to all human beings.
5) Public Hearing:- Decided to organize a public hearing on the pressing human rights issues. Date will be fixed later as per the availability of Eminent Jurists.
Translate Fact Finding Reports from Regional Languages to English:- Karnataka Chapter Two Pending, Tamil Nadu and Delhi Chapter One Pending.
6) Strengthen existing NCHRO Chapters:- Conduct a well-planned Human Rights workshop for all Chapters.
7) NCHRO Website: – should be more attractive with more resource content such as short videos, human rights related articles etc.
Prof. Koya, General Secretary thanked office bearers for their work and participation.